Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pouring and dumping





I have been working with Stephanie on scooping things up and pouring or dumping them out. For some reason she has had difficulty with this and I mentioned it to her new OT (occupational therapist) who will start with her next week. I think that is part of her eating difficulty because she doesn't have that wrist action. So yesterday we had a rice table out for scooping and dumping but she was having trouble and I was doing more of the work for her. So today I got out some paper towel tubes I had cut in half and wrapped in wrapping paper and closed one end and got out some beans. This way she could put the beans in but couldn't get them out because the opening is too small (unlike a cup we usually use for dumping). So after 5 minutes of putting the beans in and me helping her dump them out she was able to do it all on her own. She did it over and over. I have been waiting for her to do this for a long time. I was so proud of her. Now we just have to get working on that scooping. At least I can tell the OT we might have the dumping covered already.

No comments: