Monday, February 23, 2009

Therapy is coming

I just found out last week that Stephanie is on the waiting list to receive the state's intensive in home therapy for children on the Autism spectrum. When she fist got the diagnosis last fall we were told there was a 18-24 month waiting list and it would take around 6 months to get on the list. So she wouldn't get services until she was over 5. Really worried about that since they keep saying early intervention is the best. Since then the program started taking more kids a week so that has made the wait a little less. After filling out all the paperwork and getting all the right documents in we got on the waiting list at the end of January. I didn't send the paperwork in until the middle of November. So that was great news right there. Since they are taking more kids each week we also found out that she should be able to start receiving therapy sometime during the summer. That would be less than a year from when we first got her diagnosis. So much better than what we thought. The intensive program consists of finding a provider (the one I picked works first on her speech and language and second on behavior, so I am really hoping I can go with them and not my second choice), and they come to the house between 20-35 hours a week. We would have this service for 3 years if she still needs it and if we feel after a year or 2 we feel she got what should could out of it then we can use that money for other kinds of therapy like music therapy or maybe water therapy. I am so excited for her. Summer seems so far away but it will be here before we know it and I can't wait for Stephanie to start getting the help she needs.

No comments: