Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stephanie and school

Stephanie has down graded and will only go to one school this year. She is going to the school district 3 times a week for her Early childhood help with speech and OT but was also going to a regular preschool one day a week. That school didn't work out. The teachers were frustrated after only 2 weeks and if they were I am sure Stephanie was as well. I can't expect them to be able to help her with everything since there are 15 other kids in the class. They didn't ask us to leave but it was implied. Otherwise they would need me or have a teacher from her other school come and help and that is not what I wanted from that school. I am not upset about it but just hoping she will be able to be in a school with typical kids sooner rather than later. We are in the process of waiting to go to Children's (Hospital) for speech and then we will also get her additional speech at UWM in the spring (Feb). I am also considering a therapy place in Mequon or Madison. Both seem to have the tools and therapists needed to help her. I don't really want to drive to either but I am at the point that Stephanie needs a lot of help, and the right help, to figure out how to make the words she wants to say. Today in the bathtub neither of the girls wanted to come out and after I asked Stephanie again and she said no, she pointed to Emily, patted her on the head, and I asked her if she wanted Emily to come out and she said yes. I know she really wants to communicate so she has to be just as frustrated as I am. I am just praying that one day I can laugh at the fact that she got kicked out of preschool. I just needed to get down where things are at so when I look back I can see where we were at when she started school. Hopefully when I look back I can be happy with how far we have come.

No comments: