Thursday, October 8, 2009

No naps for Emily

This week Emily has decided she no longer wants to take a nap. She use to sleep for 3 hrs and we would have to wake her at 4:00 most days because she then she would like to be up til after 9:00. But this week she hasn't napped at all. I think it is because of a few reasons. First, nap time is when Stephanie's first therapist comes and Emily likes to play with them as well. Even though I try to keep her away somewhat because I need them to focus on Stephanie. Second the therapists are not very quiet and Emily is use to it being fairly quiet when she is napping. One of the therapist is louder than the others and I know they are really focusing on language so I don't want them to think they need to be quiet. Third, I started watching a little girl last week, Lizzie, and she cried when I laid her down or she would fall asleep on the way here and not need a nap before she got picked up. So Emily knew that she was the only one who had to take a nap. At first she would cry off and on for a half hour and them be quiet. She doesn't resist going upstairs but doesn't want to get into her crib. Now, after she won't sleep in her bed she will lay there and play for a hour or two being very quiet so I thought she was sleeping this week but when I would go check on her she would say "no nap today". So then I knew she didn't sleep. She does sleep good at night, usually from 7pm-8am so she is getting enough sleep. But she would normally sleep from 8pm-7:30pm with a 3 hour nap in there too. Maybe she just isn't as tired. She does get more cranky by evening but I keep telling her she should have taken a nap if she's tired. I am just not ready for her to give up her nap. Looking ahead though if she is done it may make any preschool decisions for next year easier. I think it would be better if she isn't going to sleep that she is at school in the afternoon so she isn't bothering Stephanie's therapy. That is awhile away but come the beginning of the new year I need to register her somewhere. Then the new baby will be here and I'm sure lots will change.

No comments: