He finally made his arrival on Tuesday March 23 at 11:56 am. For most of the month of March I felt like he was already late since the girls were early but he ended up being only 3 days late. My doctor also had me worried that he was going to be a bigger baby, or bigger than the girls at 7lbs 9oz and 6lbs 9oz, and then add in that they were early and I was overdue had me thinking he was going to be closer to 9lbs. He wasn't though. He was 7lbs 10oz and 21 inches long. So just about Stephanie's size but longer.
So my water broke at home last Monday night when I was going to bed at 11:30. I called Jeff to come home from work, the doctor, and my parents since I knew my mom was still up. The doctor said I can stay at home as long as I wanted too. I had laundry to do and some more packing but Jeff could tell the contractions were getting closer together an stronger. So my dad came a little after 3 and we were on our way shortly after that. Once we got there the contractions were 5 minutes or less apart and I was 2 cm dilated. I walked around for an hour or so and then caved and wanted the epidural. I knew the relief it had brought with Emily, and knew the pain I endured with Stephanie's natural birth I decided to go for it again. I got that at 7:30 and it did slow my contractions down a little bit, so I got some pitocin at 9:15. By 11:00 I could start feeling pressure and I was fully dilated by 11:30. I pushed for less than 20 minutes and he was born.
When he came out he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck a couple times, his stomach and between his legs. The doctor and the nurses said they had never seen a cord wrapped around a baby so much before. It didn't seem to bother him too much since his heartbeat dropped just a little bit with the last couple pushes. But he came out just fine and gave a good cry. I can remember someone saying "it's a boy". My eyes were closed so I didn't look when he first came out but I looked right away when someone said that.
He wasn't as big as I thought he was going to be. He was very alert and was looking around. After he got weighed he nursed for a good 20 minutes. Alle survived the birthing experience and was a great second coach. Jeff's mom was there waiting and saw him shortly after birth. My parents came with the girls after Stephanie's afternoon therapy session. Stephanie wasn't sure what was going on and Emily was all amazed that her brother came out of my tummy. She had some trouble leaving me at the hospital but I kept telling her I would see her tomorrow.
We went home the next day and the girls were happy to see us and surprised to see Matthew come home. They have been great with Matthew. Everyday Stephanie got better and better. We are all transitioning smoothly into a family of 5.
No comments:
Post a Comment